Sunday, January 6, 2013

Preparing for my interview on Thursday.


Let me start by saying I love my job. I work with 13 emotionally disturbed BOYS and they are wonderful! I see promise where most people see jail and death. But I don't get paid enough to pay all my bills, too much for cash aid from the state, and soon, too much for food stamps. AND I'm not actually working in my field. I have a BA degree in social work and nearly no paid experience in Education. In October a friend of mine referred me to a promising job at the County, making nearly twice as much or more money per month. I couldn't pass it up.
I applied and have been approved for testing and interview. The test is scheduled on 01/10/2013. I am studying my butt off and preparing for my first real social work interview since my internship interview. Here goes nothing...
 

I found the following questions at Careers.org:

Sample Interview Questions


Tell me about yourself.

Why are you interested in this agency?
How does the work in this organization fit your professional mission or experience?
Why do you want this job? Why do you want to work for this organization?
What are your experiences with the target population?
Why do you want to work with this target population?
What are your qualifications?
What kind of supervision do you expect?
How has your education/work experience prepared you for this position?
What do you hope to accomplish at this agency?
What would you like to learn here?
Have you done this type of work in the past?
What issues might you have with [adoption, for example]?
What schedule will work for you?
What are your career goals? For the next 3 years? The next 5 years? The next 10 years?
What are some of your strengths? Some of your weaknesses?
How do you define success for yourself?
How do you plan?
What is your work style?
How do you work with others?
Tell me about a time when you had to juggle your regular responsibilities and deal with a sudden priority?
Are you a leader ... a follower?
Describe the process you go through in developing a [case plan, budget, workshop, contract, or marketing plan, for example].
Describe your supervision experience? Supervision style?
What is your ideal position and career path?
Is there anything you would like to say to close the interview?
Do you have any questions? YES–You should always have questions.


Sample Direct Practice Interview Questions

What is your understanding of service delivery in [a particular field or region]?
Tell me about a time you were in a disagreement over a treatment plan.
What has been your experience with agency paperwork and how do you feel about it?
How will you deal with the dual-relationship issues of working in a small community?

Sample Community Administration & Leadership Interview Questions

What type of research skills/computer skills do you have?
What specific policy issues are you interested in?

Sample Policy Interview Questions

How do you handle shifting priorities and working in a fast-paced, pressured environment?
What is your experience with writing quickly, under pressure?
What do you do to keep track of a lot of information at once?

Program Development Interview Questions

How would you go about locating community resources in a neighborhood in which you have no relationship?


_____________________________________________________________________

 The same website offers information on what is called an elevator pitch. It says "*An elevator pitch is an overview of an idea for a product, service, or project. The name reflects the fact that an elevator pitch can be delivered in the time span of an elevator ride (for example, thirty seconds or 100-150 words)."
Here is mine:


Name: My name is Britney Sinclair
Profession: Currently, I work in education but I have a BA in Social Work.
Where I am from: I was born and raised in the high desert, except during my schooling at Cal State Los Angeles.
Most recently I have been working: I am currently employed as a Teaching Assistant at a non public school for emotionally disturbed and severely handicapped kids ages 5-22.
My career history includes: fast food including McDonald's, retial including Bath and Body Works, public education at the Victorville City Library, volunteer at Aids Service Center in Pasadena, Emergency Response Intern at LA County DCFS, and now in education.
My greatest strengths are: My passion, my work-ethic, and my thirst for knowledge.
Examples of how I have used my strengths include
My goals for the future/I am currently exploring: are to be gainfully employed as a Social Worker and eventually earn an MSW, PPS, and LCSW.
Something you can't read about me on my résumé: I love pets and animals as much as I love people! I have seven pets including dogs, cats, and a pot-belly pig. I think pets are a huge part of peoples' families and attachment to pets is often overlooked by some professionals.

_____________________________________________________________________

Also, I found some great interview tips on a fellow Blogger's page. Her name is
Dorlee M, MBA, MSW, and she must have worked very hard on this blog! I thought it would be good practice to write my thoughts out so I can be more articulate in my interview. Please, bear with me as this Blog will be continually updated.
__________________________________________________________________ 

Other questions I feel they may ask... 


What are some indicators of child maltreatment?
It depends on the type of abuse. Some signs of physical abuse might be unexplained marks like bruises and/or breaks in odd places, bite marks, burn marks, etc. Neglect may take form in lack of supervision, malnutrition, poor hygiene, inappropriate dress, unmet medical needs, abandonment, etc. Sexual abuse may be indicated by torn or bloody underwear, pain or itching, bruises, or scratches in the genitals, yeast infections, urinary infections, or other STDs, and knowledge of sexual acts.
What are the common signs of child maltreatment?
How does one recognize physical abuse?
What should I do if I think a child has been abused or neglected?
What if the person causing the harm or neglect is someone I know? Can I call anonymously?
What information do I need when I make a report?
How do I know that Children Services is investigating my report?
What information am I entitled to?
Why should I get involved?
What does the social worker do?
What are the criteria for reporting suspected child abuse/neglect?
Information needed when reporting:
What happens when I report child abuse?
Who should report allegations of abuse or neglect to Children and Family Services?
What should be reported to Children and Family Services?

No comments:

Post a Comment